Sunday, January 11, 2009

January 10, 2009

Three Dunlin in winter plumage.

This starting with a clean slate is a blast! I haven't had 8 "new" species in a day in a long time! I have also found that I am working harder at identification and am more excited to go out. Today I was very excited to see a Ross's Goose; I haven't seen one at the BVP for years. I also was excited to see three Dunlin in winter plumage. I got great looks at a Sharp-shinned Hawk, and a Ruby-crowned Kinglet. A Bewick's Wren practically jumped out and posed for me. I saw 34 species total today.

Ross's Goose on Pond 9 with Ring-billed Gulls, Coots and Northern Shovelers.

There are still a lot of ducks at the BVP. Today there seemed to be a lot of Northern Pintails, Mallards and Green-winged Teal. I went out planning to look for a Redhead, Canvasback and Wigeon (those were all a bust), but having a Ross's Goose show up was nice. There were also two Snow Geese on another pond.

No comments: