Saturday, January 3, 2009

The First Bird of 2009

I totally lucked out this year. I was standing in the kitchen at my in-law's house in Mona, UT, on New Year's Day morning (still in my pajamas) when I looked out and saw a mature bald eagle cruising past the window. Pretty good for the first bird of the year!

Later that afternoon, I went out with my sister-in-law, Cindy, and we drove around looking for birds. We didn't see as many hawks as she expected (no rough-legged, ferruginous, or Swainsons), but we had a nice little list: Five kestrels, 36 horned larks, a raven, juncos, mourning doves, American robins, two red-tailed hawks, a Northern harrier, starlings, cedar waxwings, mountain bluebirds, red-winged blackbirds, Western meadowlarks, a rock dove, a Northern flicker, another bald eagle, and a cow elk.

No comments: