Sunday, May 3, 2009

May 2

I took my boys birding on Saturday. Actually, I should say I took my kids lizard-ing, bunny-ing, bee-ing, ant-ing, and, lastly, birding. My husband had to work so I took my kids to the Bird Preserve so that we could all get out. They had fun, I got sunburned but they didn't, I felt like a good mommy, and, yes, I even saw two new species! Pretty good for birding with kids who were more interested in finding the perfect stick than in seeing any birds.

I do have to brag a little and say that my 6-year-old can now identify Northern Shovelers, Mallards, Ruddy Ducks, pigeons and grackles. He might not be the next birding prodigy, but I think that's pretty good for a kindergartner.

As for my new birds? I saw a starling on the wires above the visitors' center as we were coming in. (I know, it's just a starling, but it's still a new species for the year.) I also got a couple of quick looks at a pair of Bullock's Orioles in the trees along the out side of Pond 3. The male was stunning: bright orange and black! I tried to get a picture, but he was not cooperating (and by that point, neither were my kids). I also enjoyed watching a couple of Wilson's warblers flitting around in a tree while we sat on a bench and had a snack (gluten-free granola). The only bloggable picture I got was this female (no blue on its belly) zebra-tailed lizard.

1 comment:

ROBS said...

Wonderful pics...