Sunday, May 24, 2009

May 22

Wahoo! I saw a life bird Saturday at the Bird Preserve! That doesn't happen very often. It was a Yellow-breasted Chat. I even got a picture. All in all I added 5 "new" birds to my list for the year: the Chat, a Western Kingbird, a Hooded Oriole, Blue Grosbeaks, and Western Grebes. The chat perched on that tamarisk in Pond 4 for a few minutes before diving down into the brush and disappearing.

This Hooded Oriole started out my day. It was in the trees near the rear of the Visitors Center.

These two Western Grebes were on Pond 8. They were courting and it was fun to watch them. I didn't get to see them running on the water, but they were doing a synchronized head bobbing display.
I also thought this bright orange dragon fly was really neat. It was resting on a reed near Pond 9.

No comments: